Scott Frost Makes Surprising Nebraska Quarterback Revelation
Scott Frost made a surprising revelation regarding Nebraska’s quarterback situation heading into the 2020-21 season.
Last year, then-starter Adrian Martinez was hobbled by injuries and had a disappointing sophomore campaign after what was a pretty solid freshman year. That has led many to wonder what the future holds for the Cornhuskers at quarterback come next season.
Although Martinez is obviously still there, there is also a lot of hype surrounding sophomore Luke McCaffrey. In his debut last season, the then-rookie recorded 142 yards and two touchdowns (on nine-of-12 passing, no less) while rushing the ball 24 times for 166 yards and a touchdown.
Frost met with the media on Monday and revealed that, despite popular opinion, Nebraska has no quarterback controversy on its hands.
McCaffrey played well last season, but not well enough to take the job from Martinez.
— HuskerOnline.com (@HuskerOnline) March 9, 2020
In 2020-21, Martinez will be the team’s starting quarterback.
“Adrian’s starting out … he’s our quarterback,” Frost said.
That being said, Frost also made it clear that there would still be a place on the offense for McCaffrey in 2020 – it is just a bit unclear at the moment what that role will look like.
Last season, Nebraska finished 5-7 and failed to qualify for a bowl game. It marked the third consecutive year that this was the case.
Next season does not look to be any easier. The Huskers’ five final outings of the year will come against Ohio State, Penn State, Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota.
Presuming Nebraska only loses two of those games, the program would still need to come out nearly undefeated from the first half of the season.
Martinez will start come the beginning of 2020-21. Who will ultimately finish, though? Time will tell.