Kawhi Leonard has no plans to commit to the Los Angeles Clippers long-term right now.
“Just for my situation right now, I’m just focused on this season,” Leonard said Monday.
“Not saying I’m going anywhere else or staying here, but I’m just focused on the season.
“Obviously, if I’m healthy, the best decision is to decline the player option. But that doesn’t mean I’m leaving or staying. I’m focused on the season, like I said. We’ll talk about that when the time is right.”
If Leonard were to opt in, he could make $36 million next year. Opting out, however, would permit him to sign a max contract starting at $39.3 million.
Last week the Clippers signed Paul George to a contract extension that guarantees him as much as $226 million over the next five years.
“I spoke to Paul, he felt comfortable here,” Leonard said of his teammate.
“He loves the city, he’s obviously from here, so I think from his standpoint, he did a great job of coming to me and telling me how he feels before signing the contract.”
Will Leonard remain a Clipper past this season? Time will tell.