Atlanta Falcons Say Goodbye To Star
The Atlanta Falcons said goodbye to a star this week.
Five years ago, Atlanta selected pass rusher Vic Beasley with the eighth overall pick.
This week, they are saying goodbye.
Beasley was something of a disappointment during his time with the Falcons. Aside from one impressive season, he largely underwhelmed from start to finish.
In a statement released early this week, Atlanta brass revealed that Beasley would not be returning to the team in 2020.
BREAKING NEWS: We will not pursue negotiations with Vic Beasley this offseason. https://t.co/AWbxv1SiGi
— Atlanta Falcons (@AtlantaFalcons) February 3, 2020
“As we continue to craft our 2020 roster, we’d like to thank Vic for five years of effort on behalf of our organization,” Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said.
Beasley played the final year of his rookie deal in 2019 after the team exercised its fifth-year option in 2017.
Over the course of his 78 outings with the Falcons, Beasley started in 60 of them.
Last year, he amassed eight sacks, 42 tackles, two forced fumbles and two passes defended.
Back in 2016, he led the league with 15.5 sacks and earned both Pro-Bowl and First-Team All-Pro nods in the process.
Between 2017 and 2018, Beasley started in a total of 17 outings and recorded just 10 sacks.
It is unclear at this time where he will ultimately land for next season, but look for some contenders to try to shore up their depth by adding him to the roster.